I’ve been MIA because I wanted to just sew. I really want to finish this trench coat but it’s been soooooooooo slow going. First, I can only sew over the weekend providing that I am not working or not busy with other things so sewing time is a few hours here and there, if I’m lucky. Second, I’m having some sewing anxieties on the execution of this coat and that has psychologically blocked me from continuing. I might be overthinking some things like the problems I am having with the sleeves and the way the lining is going to be attached. However, I am hanging in there and continue to just work on things a little at time.
My muslin coat/practice coat turned out ok except I wanted to adjust the sleeves to allow room for bulkier clothes under the coat. I had some problems with the adjustments where I could not get it right. I’ve never really done any major modifications on a pattern itself so this is a first for me. Dawn, a sewing instructor at JoAnn’s, is going to help me out next weekend so I can figure out what I need to do. In the meantime, I wanted continue to sew so I decided to make the coat based on my practice coat because the coat fit just fine. Therefore, I am making 2 coats using the same pattern.
I started making my 1st coat from a black twill fabric which I got for $2 per yard. (I am using the other fabric which I posted earlier for the 2nd coat.) Unbeknowst to me when I made my first cut of the fabric, I had already made a mistake. After I had cut all 7 pieces of the coat, I realized that I had cut the fabric on the wrong side. I realized the error right after I cut ALL the pieces!!!!!! That put a damper on my project. My husband said that he can hardly tell it’s the wrong side but I can. However, I am so frugal that I decided to just go forward with this instead of waste the fabric.
The fabric is sooooooo blah black and I thought the coat might need a shot of color. I decided to buy 2 1/2 yards of maroon piping and attached it to the yoke. I thought adding piping would be pretty easy but it took 3 tries to do that. The fabric had to be flushed next to the piping and that was very difficult to do. After researching the web on how to do that, I found out that I needed to sew the piping on with the zipper foot. Using the zipper foot really helped because it helped me stay really close to the piping.
The other problem I had was that there was a double stitch design on outside of the yoke. My problem is that I can’t sew straight and my sewing is pretty sloppy. So far this had not been a problem since my stiches were never required to be shown. This time those stiches are on the outside of the garmet. To remedy this, I continued to sew using the zipper foot to help guide my eye. The other visual guide was using the painter’s tape. This really helped me keep it straight. If I strayed on the painter’s tape, the tape rips right out but the stiches remain untouched.
I’m getting ready to do the dreaded sleeves next. I still have to draft the pattern because the original pattern is a 3/4 sleeve but I want to change it to a long sleeve. That’s a new thing for me so I need to figure that out.
I’ll post more as I slowly sew this. I very much doubt that I will finish this 1st coat in October but I am targetting November as my finite day. Crossing my fingers.